|Department:||Communications & Publications|
|Campaign Start Date:||10/23/2013|
|Location:||Gainesville,GA (Main Campus)|
|Position Status:||Full-Time Staff|
DescriptionBrenau's Communications & Publications Department is seeking an Administrative Assistant.
To provide administrative assistant duties to the Office of Communications & Publications (OC&P), to assist the Vice President of Communications & Publications providing administrative support as requested, to include coordination of functions for the office. Offer support as needed to the Office of External Relations as the receptionist for the shared office building.
Knowledge & Job Skills:
- Complete all proof-reading assignments received from any OC&P team members immediately and carefully.
- Manage accounting function and process purchase orders for the office.
- Assist and support as part of the OC&P function with the organization and execution of special events, such as the annual Brenau Barbecue Championship, Reunion Weekend, Commencement and other special events of the University.
- Coordinate functions in association with Brenau University Press (a division of OC&P) such as book signings, author appearances, book sales, deposits and book storage, etc.
- Provide timely secretarial support as assigned, including typing and spread sheet activity.
- Manage the acquisition, inventory and distribution of attractive items which have the Brenau logo printed on them, for presentation to participants of seminars or to guests of the University.
- Participate in preparation and distribution of Brenau fact sheets, booklets, flyers, posters, publications, etc. for Brenau-sponsored events.
- Coordinate distribution and mailing of the Brenau Window magazine to other campuses, offices and individuals as necessary.
- Keep contact information current and help with correspondence to Brenau’s legislative representatives and senators as part of the duties in support of the Vice President of Communications & Publications.
- Submit work orders for OC&P and Walters House as necessary, coordinating with External Relations, when items in the building need repair or boxes or furniture need transporting, etc., and in ordering of supplies for use by both departments.
- Procurement of emergency office supplies at the request of the OC&P V.P. or the Design Director.
- Responsible for filling out Postal Form 3526 and delivering it to the Post Office every year by October 1st.
- Assist students, visitors, faculty and staff with information, directions, or other help as needed, either in person as receptionist for the building or over the phone as a first point of contact for the Walters House.
- Provide mail pick up from the campus post office and distribution of that mail to the Walters House offices and delivery of all outgoing mail from the Walters House (all offices) to the campus post office daily.
- Coordinate distribution of the Calendar of Arts & Events including spread sheet maintenance twice a year.
- Full responsibility for saving electronic clippings about Brenau and saving some clippings from the local newspaper, The Gainesville Times.
Project management and communication skills, responsiveness to immediate requests with ability to complete tasks. Typing, excellent writing and grammar skills, proficient in telephone and visitor courtesy, strong computer skills, especially Microsoft Office software, and knowledge of University’s programs, policies and regulations. Knowledge of media relations and public relations a plus.
Timely responsiveness to and communication with supervisors and other staff members is fundamental to the position. Maintenance of confidentiality is essential.
B.A. in English, journalism or related degree preferable.
Minimum of five years clerical experience. Microsoft Office products. Previous work in advertising or public relations agency or media organization is preferable.
Excellent interpersonal and customer relations skills; strong organizational and communication (written and verbal) skills; self-starter; tenacious; excellent telephone and office manner; maintain professional appearance and habits.
Should respond well to the pressure of tight deadlines and multiple projects.
Respond to immediate needs and scheduled projects of the Vice President for Communications & Publications, performing duties as assigned including advanced secretarial and departmental activities.
Environmental and Working Conditions:
Normal environment found in an office and/or educational setting. Some exposure to outdoors and varying weather conditions may be required.
Physical Demands and Aptitudes:
Some lifting and or carrying objects weighing 10 lbs + may be required. This position requires repetitive usage of arms, legs, eyes to include sitting to a significant degree.
40 hours per week. Generally Monday-Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Hours may be extended to meet the needs of the department.
This position requires that you hold and continue to maintain a clean criminal history background.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We Practice and Believe in Equal Opportunity for All.
Brenau University is a drug-free workplace as certified by the Georgia Workers Compensation Board.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications